top of page

Find my building's renovation by-laws & checking contractors have the correct licence

Renovation by-laws
Renovations in units can increase the overall value of a building. When renovating in a building with neighbours in such close proximity, it is important to ensure you apply for Body Corporate approval first, so that short term impacts (noise, dirt from construction work and utility outages) are regulated and everyone in the building has plenty of notice to prepare for disruption.

The last thing anyone wants is for a 'surprise' jackhammer to start up during their Sunday morning coffee, or their important Thursday afternoon meeting. 

Forewarned, is forearmed. 

Did you know in Queensland, every building has its own unique by-laws regulating renovations?

Where do you find the by-laws for your building? 

By-laws are part of a document called a "community management statement" (CMS) which is recorded on the title of your property. All owners are legally obliged to comply with the by-laws.

Get a copy of the CMS containing the renovation by-laws for your building
Anyone can buy a copy of the CMS for any building in Queensland from the Queensland Titles Office (click HERE).

The (Nuu) Co's clients can download a copy of their CMS for free on their building's online Strata Vault which contains all of their Body Corporate's records.

Accessing your Body Corporate records

If you need another email invitation to log into Strata Vault, email us at with your name, lot number and building name to request another invitation link.

It's free to log in.
Make sure you get quotes from appropriately licensed or registered contractors...

It is important that work that requires a licence in Queensland is only carried out by a licensed contractor.


Visit to find out more about what kind of licence a contractor requires for particular building work in Queensland.


Electrical work in Queensland must only be carried out by a person with a current electrical contractor’s licence.


You can check a contractor has an electrical contractor's licence here:


Most plumbing work in Queensland is regulated and requires a QBCC licensed plumber or drainer to undertake the work, to protect the community’s health and safety.[1]


There are 12 categories of ‘notifiable plumbing work’ under the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2019 that a licensed plumber can perform without a Council permit.


Read here:


‘Minor plumbing work’[2] does not require a Form 4 to be submitted – but must still be done by a QBCC licensed plumber.


“Unregulated plumbing work’[3] does not need to be done by a QBCC licensed plumber.


Waterproofing work valued at more than $3,300 must be carried out by a QBCC Licensee with the appropriate licence.




[2] Minor plumbing work for premises necessary for the following—

•unblocking sanitary plumbing or sanitary drainage

•repairing a broken or damaged pipe

•maintaining or repairing an apparatus

•installing, replacing or removing an apparatus, other than—

•a dual check valve with atmospheric port; or

•a temperature control device; or

•a testable backflow prevention device; or

•a water heater

•maintaining, repairing, replacing or removing a fitting or fixture

•maintaining or repairing a greywater use facility or an on-site sewage facility, other than repairing or maintaining an irrigation system for the disposal of effluent from the facility

•installing a greywater diversion device

•maintaining, repairing or replacing a fire hydrant or fire hose reel, unless schedule 3, section 2 applies to the work

•sealing a supply pipe downstream from the water meter for a class 1 or 10 building or structure

•installing, removing or replacing an automatic switching device for a rainwater tank

[3] Unregulated [plumbing] work generally work for premises necessary for the following—

•replacing a shower head or domestic water filter cartridge

•replacing a jumper valve or washer in a tap

•repairing or replacing a drop valve washer, float valve washer or suction cup rubber in a toilet cistern

•replacing caps to ground level inspection openings on a sanitary drain

•cleaning or maintaining a ground level grate for a trap on a sanitary drain

•installing or maintaining an irrigation or lawn watering system downstream from a tap, isolating valve or backflow prevention device on the supply pipe for the watering system

•repairing or maintaining an irrigation system for the disposal of effluent from a greywater use facility or on-site sewage facility

bottom of page